10 Things You Need to be Aware of Before Coming to America


  1. Racism
I come from the Philippines. A country whose education system was designed by the Americans in the early 1900's. We call it, the Colonial Education System. Because of that, we thought we know everything about America. But I'll tell you. Our American History books in the Philippines never mentioned the history of racism in America. They hide it from us. And I didn't know the extent of this problem until I arrived here in 2006. And when I say extent, it's really bad. And it's happening everywhere. I myself was a victim of racial discrimination in the work place. No need for me to elaborate how did it happened. Take note, white Americans are not the only racists in this country. It comes from any colors. 

By the way, don't say the word "negro" when you're in a crowd of black people or in public places. Sometimes, they call it the "N" word. For them, it's a bad word. In some extent, you'll get punch in the face. This is something that I didn't know when I was in the Philippines. So if you come to America, be aware on this.
  1. Credit Cards and Credit Score
America depends on credit and almost everyone here has a credit card. Your ability to avail credit depends on your credit score and credit history. This is where banks get their money. Charging you hidden and tricky charges is the name of the game. They will also charge you with high interest rates up to 30 percent depending on your credit score. You miss one payment and you're also in trouble. There's an average penalty of 35 dollars per late payment. For new comers, they charged you with an annual fee up to a hundred dollars. My advise? Don't rush on applying for a credit card. Always wait for the offer and review it thoroughly.
  1. Buying a House and Renting
Buying a house is always exciting for Americans. But hold on, don't rush on it. There are few things you need to know before buying a house. Make sure you got the right Real Estate Agent. Try to find someone who knows the job and reasonable. Take note, most of these people work for profit alone. There are things that you need to consider before making a decision. Is it the right time to buy? Is it the right location for yourself and your family? Or is it the right price for you? Another thing is, your monthly mortgage should be a third of your monthly income. And also, try to learn the difference between short sale and foreclosures.

Sometimes, there are times that renting is more practical than buying. And when renting, landlords always ask for one month deposit and one month advance. And when you move out, seldom you could get back your deposit because landlords will rip you off. My advise? Always do your math before making a decision.
  1. Taxation and the IRS
As the saying goes. Don't mess with the IRS. For Americans, IRS is like a monster. It is a very powerful government agency that collects taxes. But if you know how to play the game, you can maximize your tax refund and deductions. Make sure you get the right Tax Preparer. Because no matter how powerful the IRS, every law has its own loop holes. I know a lot of friends who knew how to play the game. One more thing, keep your receipts within 5 years. Those receipts that you claimed as deductions when filing your tax returns. Tax auditing from the IRS are random. It could happen anytime. Get ready for it.
  1. Rip Off Culture
You need a Lawyer? A Doctor? Or even a Handyman? Prepare your wallet. Nothing is free in America. These so called professionals are ready to rip you off. Over charging of services rendered is always a part of the American's way of life. A friend of mine once consult a lawyer for a small problem. Just one inquiry and it costs him 1,500 dollars. In addition to that, Sales people really know how to hassle just to rip you off. Be aware of their tricks before talking to them. If they're offering terms, make sure you read and understand the contracts.
  1. Gun Culture
Americans love guns and it's part of their culture. And it's all legal. In America, it's easier to own a gun than to get a driver's license. Male Americans are feeling macho when they own a gun. You can own guns as long as you can afford to pay for it. Some Americans use it for hunting and for sports. Most politicians don't even want to touch the issue of gun control. They're afraid to lose some votes. The National Rifle Association is a very powerful and influential organization. They even control congress and the White House. Gun manufacturing is a big business in America and it's a powerful industry. Going against them is big risk.
  1. The use of Sir or Mam
In the Philippines where I came from. Calling Sir or Mam to anyone is a good thing. It's a sign of respect. Filipino students normally call their teachers Sir or Mam. But in America, students call their teachers with their names alone, like "Mr. Smith" or "Mrs. Smith". 

And if we work in a store or in an office, we also call our customers Sir or Mam. But it's different when you're in America. So please be careful, because not everyone is happy about it. I personally experienced that thing when I was working in a store. I addressed my customer as Sir and he gets mad at me. He ask me with an angry face and said, why are you calling me Sir? I was shocked and surprised. And then I explained it to him that I came from a country where we call our customers as Sir or Mam. And it's all about respect. And then he told me that next time, don't call me Sir. After that incident, I ask my manager about it. And he explained it to me that you only call them Sir or Mam when you think they're older than you or too older than you.

For some Americans, calling them Sir or Mam is awful. Specially, if you look older than them or you're at the same age level. 
  1. Homelessness and Poverty
The first time I arrived in America was in 2006. My cousins brought me to the 69th Street in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. To my surprise, there were homeless people in almost every corner. They're begging for money, asking for food and they're staring at you. It was totally different for what I know about America when I was in the Philippines. That America is rich country. That it is the land of milk and honey. That it is the land of opportunities. And there I realized, that not everything you heard about America is true.
  1. Driving is a Must
Do you know how to drive a vehicle? Then you have nothing to worry. But for those who can't, you should learn it first before coming to America. Because in this country, driving is a must. And if you have a license to drive from where you come from, the government will give you a temporary permit. For the first timers, both written and driving exams are needed. Public transportation is not popular in America except for few cities. By the way, driving schools are very expensive. And your driving experience would determine your insurance premium. Right now, I am paying 1,400 dollars a year for my insurance premium. One important thing, try to ask your insurance agent about road side assistance and gap insurance.
    10. Fraud and Identity Theft
It's nice to hear that America has 911. Yes, and it's a good thing. But they're useless when it comes to fraud and identity theft. They're operating everywhere. I myself was a victim of fraud when I open up a store in Texas. Somebody came to me and pretended to be a bank representative providing credit card swiping machines. He looks good and looks real to me. He has all the papers and documents to show that he is for real. And then it turns out, the guy was a Con Artist. He took my down payment worth 300 dollars and all my personal information. Days later, someone made some purchases using my debit and credit cards without my permission. Although I was able to recover my money by filing a complaint to the bank, my credit scores were already damaged. In addition, be careful of phone calls pretending to be your bank representatives calling for verification by asking your personal information. Always remember, never give your personal information on the phone. Specially your birthday and SS numbers. Identity theft is really rampant in America. Be aware on this.


The author, Neil Edwin R. Wagas was born in the Philippines. He and his family migrated to the U.S. in 2006. He's a blogger, a sports fan, an activist and a songwriter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Popular Cebuano Expressions You Need to Know

How About the Idea of Lebron James Going to Toronto?

Some Reasons Why Music Artists are Mostly Underpaid