Are you an anti American?


In the early 90's, my father went to America as a tourist from the Philippines upon the invitation of his own sister in Pennsylvania. He got a multiple entry tourist visa good for 10 years. But when he arrived at the port of entry in Detroit, he was hold by the immigration. People in the immigration suspected that my father was a fraud. He was maltreated and was even put to jail for a couple of hours. He was hold in a cell barely naked and cold. For him, it was a torture. He was treated like a terrorist. And then the next day, my father was deported back to the Philippines without any explanation from the U.S. Embassy. Take note. My father has no criminal records. He was a former police officer. 

For us children, it was a terrifying experience. I was so angry with the Americans at that time. And even before the incident, I was already an anti imperialist activist in college. That incident fueled my mentality as a radical anti American.

But in 2006, unexpected turn of events happened. My wife and I together with our son came to America to look for greener pastures. It was a tough decision on my part but I did it purposely for the love of my wife and children. Besides, I was more mature at that time and my radicalism has slowed down. As we get older, our views in life becomes more tolerant. At that time, my family's future was already the focus of my endeavors. 

But when I arrived here in America, I discovered a lot of surprises. My curiosity in politics prompted me to investigate and study the political affairs of this country. One thing that amazed me is how Americans think about of their own government. How Americans criticized their own politicians and the greedy corporations. And how Americans were deeply divided in so many issues. In fact in that same year of 2006, I was surprised that majority of the Americans were against the invasion of Iraq. While in the Philippines, majority were in favor of the war. A product of our colonial mentality.

As years go by. I began to realize how my radicalism has transformed. And there's one important lesson that I learned. That the mistake of one American is not the mistake of every American. And that's applicable to any country including my birth country, the Philippines. Just like in the case of an American tourist who was a victim of an extortion syndicate at the airport in Manila. That was a mistake committed by one or few Filipinos at the airport. It was not a mistake of all Filipinos. And it could happen to anyone in any country.

After 10 years of residing in America, I learned something. That a good citizen of any country should also be a good citizen of the world. That the world belongs to everyone and it's everyone's responsibility to protect it. And that hatred has no place in a civilized society.

And as I live here in the U.S., I promised to myself. That I will continue to be more pro active and objective in my views. That I will continue to oppose anything that is destructive to the welfare of mankind including the unjust foreign policy of our government. That I will continue to speak out against anything that contributes to the degradation of our morals and the destruction of our society and the environment. That I will continue to be just and fair to everyone regardless of our race, religion and political affiliations.

In reality. The moment the world begun to meltdown, it's the time for us to realize that there's no such thing as East or West. That there's no such thing as Pro or Anti. That there is no such thing as Left or Right. And that, there is no such thing as Black or White. Everyone will die and it's all our fault. Because we focus too much on the things that divides us. Indeed, we all belong to one human race.

Give peace a chance and have a wonderful day.

Written by: Neil Edwin R. Wagas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Popular Cebuano Expressions You Need to Know

How About the Idea of Lebron James Going to Toronto?

Some Reasons Why Music Artists are Mostly Underpaid